What LENGTH of string is required to string a tennis racquet?
• Almost all tennis racquets can be strung with 40 feet (12.2 meters) or less of string.
• Golden Set tennis string sets contain 40ft (12.2m) of string.
• A 660ft (200m) reel will generally string about 16 to 18 tennis racquets.
What does the string 'GAUGE' mean?
What string TENSION should I be using?
I do not restring racquets, why would I purchase tennis string?
• To save money: If you supply your own string, re-stringers will string your racquet for the cost of labour only (usually between $10 and $20).
• To get the string that you like: Most re-stringers stock only a limited variety of string types. Acquiring and supplying your own string ensures your racquet will be strung with the string that you like.
Does the color of a tennis string have an effect on how it behaves?
• In theory, the dye used to color a string could have some minute effect on its mechanical behaviour.
• This effect is so small though that most players cannot feel any difference.
I have arm problems (tennis elbow, golfer's elbow etc.), what kind of string should I use?
• Elasticity is your friend when it comes to protecting your arm
• Higher string elasticity will reduce the amount of shock transmitted to your arm
• Nylon based strings offer high elasticity
• If you are using a polyester string and experiencing arm problems, try a hybrid combination that assigns a more elastic (softer) string to the crosses.
(click here for more information on hybrids/blends)
• Going with a lower tension will also reduce the shock transmitted to your arm.
(click here for more information on tension)